Welcome to The Sprout! Please sign up or login

Premiership Beckons For Cardiff City

Posted by PinkClouds from Cardiff - Published on 15/04/2013 at 10:58
0 comments » - Tagged as Sport & Leisure

  • CCFC

Saturday afternoon (13th April 2013) brought Cardiff City one of their most important games of the season.

They need seven points to secure automatic promotion, so they really needed to win their game against Nottingham Forest. Just over 26,000 people came to the match; there was an amazing atmosphere.

At the start of the game there was a good shot on target from Nottingham Forest but it hit the side of the net.

Greg Halford then fouled Kim Bo-Kyung, which resulted in a yellow card. The free kick was taken by Craig Bellamy, getting it into the box for Heiðar Helguson to head it into the net, scoring the first goal of the game in the 26th minute.

Forest responded through Henri Landsbury, who had a shot on target, which was blocked by goalkeeper David Marshall but he couldn't hold on to it. Landsbury then headed it across the box, Leon Barnett was trying to block yet it fell to Halford to have a go but it was again saved by Marshall with Barnett helping; it all gets a bit messy with multiple players on the floor.

Kevin McNaughton then gave away a free kick, which was kicked in with Marshall hitting it away over the bar.

Another free kick was then given to Nottingham Forest, again it was crossed into the box but Darius Henderson elbows Helguson in the face, who then falls to the floor. There was then lot of arguing with the ref but the final decision was a red card for Henderson.

Starting the second half Rudy Gestede replaced Helguson.

From a corner taken by Kim, Gestede appears to knee Halford in the face, which resulted in him getting stretchered off.

There was then a foul on McNaughton, resulting in a yellow card for Adlène Guedioura. From the resulting free kick, Bellamy hit the post with the Forest keeper well beaten. The ball then went out to Andrew Taylor who crossed the ball to Gestede who headed it in the goal making the score 2-0 at 60 minutes in.

Then it was Kim's turn to have a shot, which was saved by the goalkeeper.

On 66 minutes, Cardiff City had another corner that was taken by Bellamy and Gestede headed into the goal making the score 3-0, which was the final score.

With Watford losing their game, all Cardiff need now is one point in the next four games to secure their place in the premiership next year. Let's hope it can be as soon as tomorrow (Tuesday) when the play Charlton Athletic at home.

Click here for more of TheSprout's stories on Cardiff City

Events Â» April's 2013 Sprout Editorial Group Meeting

Info Â» Sport & Leisure Â» Outdoor Sports Â» Football

Articles Â» Categories Â» Sport & Leisure

Organisations Â» Gôl Football Centre

Photo Credit: joncandy via Compfight cc

Got something to say?

You must be logged in to post comments on this website.

Login or Register.

Please take a few minutes to complete this survey. It will help us find out how you use the website so we can keep improving it for you. Everyone who completes the survey will get the chance to win £50.