Information » Things To Do » Sports and Keeping Fit » Athletics
- Air Hockey
- Air Sports
- American Football
- Diving and Snorkelling
- Gymnastics and Trampolining
- Horse Riding
- Ice Hockey
- Ice Sports
- Martial Arts
- Motor Sports
- Outdoor Pursuits
- Roller Sports
- Skiing and Snowboarding
- Snooker and Pool
- Swimming and Lifesaving
- Table Tennis
Athletics includes track and field events:
- Running: long distance, sprints, cross-country
- Throwing: shot put, javelin, hammer, discus
- Jumping: pole vault, high jump, long jump, triple jump
There are also combination events:
- Sprint distance: 750m swim, 20k cycle, 5k run
- Olympic distance: 1,500m swim, 40k cycle, 10k run
- Ironman: 3,800m swim, 180k cycle, 42k run
- Decathlon - 100m sprint, long jump, shot put, high jump, 400m, 110m hurdles, discus, pole vault, javelin, 1500m
- Heptathlon - 100m hurdles, high jump, shot put, 200m long jump, javelin, 800m
Athletics clubs vary in size and offer something for all the athletic events.
There is no age limit to participate in athletics. Some clubs offer junior training and competition, with different age group categories .
If you are unsure which particular event you prefer, then a coach can help you decide what you're good at.
Running or jogging can be enjoyed without joining a club, but make sure you stay safe if you are running alone outdoors.