Welcome to The Sprout! Please sign up or login

Information » Money » Money while you learn » Post 16 education

Post 16 Education

If you are over 16 years old and in education, you might be entitled to extra financial support. Please note that some Local Education Authorities will also offer additional support to over-16’s in education, so do check with them, too.

Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA)

EMA is an allowance worth up to £30 a week (paid fortnightly) for students aged 16 to 18 who are continuing in further education.

You may qualify for an EMA:

  • If you are 16-18 years old
  • Your academic or vocational course is at least 10 weeks long and involves at least 12 hours a week of guided learning (i.e. lectures or supervised study)
  • Your household income is £20,817 or less and you are the only young person in the household or below £23,077 or less if there are additional young people eligible for child benefit in the household

Your course can be at a school sixth form, sixth form college or further education college.

EMA won't affect you or your family’s benefits.

To apply, talk to your school or college or your careers adviser.

Financial Contingency Fund

  • Financial Contingency Fund (FCF) is available to part-time or full-time students in higher or further education in Wales who are experiencing financial hardship and, without help, might leave their course. This fund is not available to students in schools
  • Students must have first explored and applied for all alternative sources of funding, including public funding
  • The fund is given by the Welsh Government to your educational institution. You must apply directly to your educational institution
  • If you are successful in applying for FCF, it may be paid to you as a loan, a grant that you don't have to pay back or in the form of a service or equipment, such as childcare or a computer
  • It is not there to aid your lifestyle choices, for example, to help you buy a car, games console or gym membership!
  • There are many other criteria that may also be taken into consideration, which can be found here and on your institution’s website. For example, here are the FAQs for the University of South Wales

Assembly Learning Grant for Further Education

  • A Welsh Government Learning Grant for Further Education (WGLG (FE)) [previously known as ALG (FE)] provides extra money for general living costs for students who are studying further education at college in Wales and are experiencing financial hardship. You will not be expected to repay the grant
  • It helps you to pay for books, equipment, travel or childcare while you are in education
  • You are eligible if you are studying a full- or part-time further education course or are 19 years old or over and taking a course that leads to a nationally-recognised qualification that is not part of compulsory education
  • Example courses include GCSE’s, A- or AS- levels, BTEC and NVQ courses and Basic Skills Courses
  • Grants for part-time students can range from £300-£750 and from £450-£1,500 for full-time students, depending on your annual household income
  • Key dates: application forms must be received within nine months of your course start date. All information and evidence must be received within 12 months of your course start date
  • There are detailed conditions to the grant, so please visit the Citizens Advice Bureau website for full details
  • To apply for a Welsh Government Learning Grant, contact Student Finance Wales

Related Media

Useful Links

Got something to say?

You must be logged in to post comments on this website.

Login or Register.

Please take a few minutes to complete this survey. It will help us find out how you use the website so we can keep improving it for you. Everyone who completes the survey will get the chance to win £50.