Welcome to The Sprout! Please sign up or login

Information » Housing » Finding rented accommodation

Finding Rented Accommodation

Private rented accommodation is the most common type of housing you live in when you leave home for the first time. There are many different types of private rented housing available based on your needs, e.g. self contained accommodation or facilities (e.g. kitchen and bathroom) shared with other people. The standard of accommodation can also vary greatly.

While living on your own can give you independence, there are also some downsides to it. Rent can be high, money needs to be paid upfront (deposit and rent in advance in most cases), and landlords might be unwilling to let their property to young people or to those who claim benefits.

Before deciding on moving out you will need to think carefully about what you can afford, the type of accommodation you need and is available to you, what it may be like sharing a home with others, paying things like council tax, water rates and what you will need to ask the landlord or letting agency.

There is a possibility that you might be able to get help in paying the rent by claiming benefits but this does not always cover the full rent and there may be changes to who can claim coming into effect. To find out if you are eligible go to gov.uk

Anyone over the age of 16 can also apply for accommodation let by Councils and Housing Associations, these are organisations that own properties and offer cheap rented accommodation to people on low incomes.

This section looks at finding rented accommodation and what to think about before you move.

Related Media

Useful Links

Got something to say?

You must be logged in to post comments on this website.

Login or Register.

Please take a few minutes to complete this survey. It will help us find out how you use the website so we can keep improving it for you. Everyone who completes the survey will get the chance to win £50.