Welcome to The Sprout! Please sign up or login

Information » Housing » Buying a New Home » Housing associations



Housing associations

With property prices sometimes rising dramatically, many young people find it difficult to get onto the property ladder.

  • Housing associations are non-profit organisations that can help you find affordable accommodation
  • Many housing associations now offer affordable housing schemes to help first time buyers own their own home
  • These schemes often involve your local housing association owning part of your house with you. For example, if you could only afford 70% of the property you want to buy, the housing association may agree to buy the other 30% with you. This means that when you come to sell your house, the housing association will take 30% of the price you sell if for
  • Affordable housing schemes are a good way of enabling you to buy in areas you may otherwise be unable to afford

To find out what type of affordable housing schemes are offered in your local area, you need to contact the housing associations directly.

Related Media

Useful Links

Got something to say?

You must be logged in to post comments on this website.

Login or Register.

Please take a few minutes to complete this survey. It will help us find out how you use the website so we can keep improving it for you. Everyone who completes the survey will get the chance to win £50.