Information » Health » Drugs, Alcohol and Substances » Magic Mushrooms
Magic mushrooms are mushrooms that grow wild but there are two particular types that give hallucinogenic effects when eaten, like the effect of taking LSD.
One type called Psilocybin mushrooms are small, tan and will go blue on bruising when touched. The other type is called Amanita Muscaria and these are red with white spots.
The effect of taking magic mushrooms is to have a trip which can be either good or bad. After eating the mushrooms it can take up to two hours for a trip to start and the trip can last up to 10 hours.
As there are hundreds of different types of mushrooms and toadstools growing wild one of the main dangers is that you may pick a poisonous mushroom which if eaten can make you very ill and in some cases be fatal.
Magic Mushrooms are not addictive.
Included in the risks are:
- A trip can speed up and slow down both time and body movements
- Although trips can make people happy they can cause panic and be confusing and be terrifying
- If you have mental health issues magic mushrooms can make them worse
- Taking magic mushrooms when you are in a bad mood can affect the ‘trip’ experiences (it is possible to have a bad trip). If you are going to take mushrooms make sure you are in a safe place with people you are familiar with and similarly look after your friends
- The mushrooms can make you feel sick, disorientated and tired
Both fresh and prepared (e.g. dried or stewed) magic mushrooms containing psilocin or psilocybin are Class A drugs. This means it’s illegal to have for yourself, to give away or to sell. Possession of magic mushrooms can mean up to seven years in prison and an unlimited fine, and supplying can mean a life sentence and an unlimited fine.