Information » Education, Employment & Training » Volunteering
When you give your time up to do something for a good cause without being paid you are a volunteer. As a volunteer you can make a huge contribution to your community and society.
Volunteering is a great way to meet new people, gain confidence, skills and experience.
It can give you a good idea of what a particular job or career is like before you go on to apply for paid employment. It can be a great thing to have on your CV if you've given up your free time to do something worthwhile and potential employers will value this.
Charities and other organisations often need help from volunteers to carry out their work so that they can improve the lives of others.
- You can chose from thousands of opportunities, in Wales, the UK and abroad. There are lots of opportunities available depending on where you live and how much time you can commit to giving
- Volunteers can help in lots of different ways, you could work with children and young people, work with animals or help the environment or look after the elderly
- The amount of time and commitment you give to volunteering is up to you. Some people volunteer on a weekly basis, others volunteer for weeks, months and some people volunteer year after year
- Volunteering opportunities abroad will introduce you to new cultures and experiences and can help to develop your independence and confidence
- If you are interested in volunteering you can start off by working out how many hours you have to offer. You can then start thinking about what type of volunteering you would like to do and what skills and knowledge you can offer.