Information » Education, Employment & Training » Study Skills » Exams
Many people find exams stressful, feeling worried, anxious and nervous. Its a perfectly natural reaction to the thought of being tested and put on the spot - you're not on your own!
You can help yourself by trying to keep calm and preparing well. Good preparation will help you to feel a lot more confident in the situation.
View the situation as a challenge - you've been learning about a subject for the past few years and this is your chance to demonstrate everything you know.
Learning how to cope with stressful situations like exams by preparing well will benefit you in the future when it comes to job interviews and the world of work.
Here are some tips that can help you deal with exam stress:
- Read our section on Revision
- Plan ahead - leave yourself plenty of time to revise
- Get plenty of sleep
- Eat properly
- Take time out - get some exercise and fresh air every day
- If you are feeling stressed talk to someone - parents, friends, brother or sister - don‘t bottle things up, they might be able to help you with your revision
- On the day make sure you have everything you need - pens, pencils, drink, hankie etc
- Use the toilet before going into the exam
Follow these tips and hopefully you‘ll pass.
Remember although exams are important if you fail an exam its not the end of the world and it doesn‘t mean you are a failure as a person.
It's ok to feel disappointed if you didn‘t get the grades you expected but try to learn from the situation.
You can always re-sit or look at other options for getting where you want - there are always alternatives. Talk things through with someone if you need to about alternatives.