Information » Education, Employment & Training » Post 16 Education » Gap Year
A gap year is when you take a year out between school, college or university.
After years of studying a gap year can give you a break and a chance to do something different. It can also be useful if you want to go on to university but are unsure about what you would like to study or do in the future.
Here are some examples of things you can do during a gap year:
- Voluntary work in the UK or abroad
- Work part-time or get a temporary job so you can earn and save some money
- Gain useful skills like learning to drive or improving your IT skills
- Travel abroad, either independently or through a scheme to learn about other cultures
- Learn a language by working abroad or signing up for a night class
- Work on a conservation project
For information and advice on taking a gap year, including links to gap year organisations go to: http://www2.careerswales.com/youngpeople/choices17/16to19_gap.asp