Work Visas and Permits
Working abroad is a great way of getting to know a country, but before you go away it is vital you make sure you get the right work visa or permit.
- If you wish to go to a country that is part of the EFTA, EEA or European Union then you don’t need a visa or work permit
- There are many schemes which organise work placements abroad such as Camp America or some jobs where you work as a TEFL (teaching English as a foreign language) teacher. These companies will organise your work visa for you
- Depending on which country you want to go to, you might need to show proof that you have a job there before you leave. This is the case in the USA, where your employers will have to sponsor your work visa
- You could get in touch with the embassy of the country you want to travel to which can tell you about work visa requirements for that country
- You can check what you need to visit each country with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office’s directory