Welcome to The Sprout! Please sign up or login

Information » Your World » Working » Work Visas and Permits

Work Visas and Permits

Working abroad is a great way of getting to know a country, but before you go away it is vital you make sure you get the right work visa or permit.

  • If you wish to go to a country that is part of the EFTA, EEA or European Union then you don’t need a visa or work permit
  • There are many schemes which organise work placements abroad such as Camp America or some jobs where you work as a TEFL (teaching English as a foreign language) teacher. These companies will organise your work visa for you
  • Depending on which country you want to go to, you might need to show proof that you have a job there before you leave. This is the case in the USA, where your employers will have to sponsor your work visa
  • You could get in touch with the embassy of the country you want to travel to which can tell you about work visa requirements for that country
  • You can check what you need to visit each country with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office’s directory

Related Media

Useful Links

Got something to say?

You must be logged in to post comments on this website.

Login or Register.

Please take a few minutes to complete this survey. It will help us find out how you use the website so we can keep improving it for you. Everyone who completes the survey will get the chance to win £50.